Monday, May 4, 2009

"La Perdid"

Jessica Abel's "La Perdida" was a book in which I could somewhat relate too. I was so fond about the idea of reading a comic book, because I honestly don't think I've ever even attempted to read one. I have never found them to look interesting and I've always thought comic books were for boys. Very stereotypical, yes I know.

When I began to read the book it took me a few pages to really understand what exactly was going on. I didn't expect to see so much Spanish! But I guess the name of the book was kind of a give away. I was actually kind of excited to see read it and try and understand it on my own without looking at the translation. Considering I am Mexican I enjoyed getting an understanding of what the storyline was about.

I have only visited Mexico about 8 times in my life time. Most of them have been when I was younger. I only have one great aunt who lives there today. Besides her living there, there isn't much of a reason to go. Although, it does upset me a little that I don't know as much about my heritage as I think I should. I mean I'm from California! The Mexican heritage there is so widely known. Actually, I sometimes get made fun of because I am considered a "white-washed" Mexican because I don't speak Spanish fluently. This has always bothered me growing up because no one wants to be an outcast, especially of their "own-kind."

This is why I enjoyed reading Jessica Abel's "La Perdida," because I feel like it made me feel better that Carla, the main character also wanted to find her roots and experience her Mexican heritage.

2 comments:

  1. I myself haven't read many comic books either! I liked reading something different from what I would normally read!! Do you feel that there is this hostility between Mexicans and Americans like Jessica Abel shows in her novel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think there is sometimes hostility between Mexicans and Americans. I feel like sometimes people have a misconception of Mexicans and categorize us as all the same, when really it's not like that at all. I know there are some assumptions made about Mexicans and how we are all illegal immigrants, but I know from my own experiences I feel more American than I do Mexican.
    Although it does make me a little sad that I'm not fully in touch with my culture, I do like being integrated.

    ReplyDelete