Monday, April 20, 2009

Like Water for Chocolate

I really enjoyed the way this novel used food as the way to the feelings Tita especially was having. People always say that food can have that effect on people. I think the author, Laura Esquivel was really trying to recreate the story of Romeo and Juliet.

Throughout their lives they know they want to be together and try everything they must to have it happen. Tita even goes as far as watching Pedro marry her oldest sister! This would not be okay in my family. Not one of my sisters would ever do that to me nor would our Mother allow that to happen.

I can't imagine going through life not being allowed to marry because it was my duty to take care of my mother. I can understand if that was the case, but you still could marry and have a family. I know, being that I am Mexican, in our culture we do have a tendency to care for our parents when they are older. A lot of times you will see a family whose grandmother lives with them because they are getting too old to take care of themselves. It is not very often at all in our culture to take them to a home. Although Mama Elena was extremely controlling and a little crazy, the author did a good job at relating the story to what might really happen in a Mexican family.

2 comments:

  1. I mentioned Romeo and Juliet in my blog too! Since they were so young and the author made it so intense in the beginning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I would take care of my mother if she wished but I would still want to be able to get married!! Also, my sisters and my mother would never take or let someone marry the man I loved!!

    ReplyDelete