Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"Skim"

Again when I looked at the book, I really didn't feel that interested in reading it. It was almost the same feelings I had toward La Perdida. To know that this book can be considered a children's book is amazing to me. I can honestly say I was shocked at the content of the book and almost couldn't believe the advanced situations, but then again in reality these types of situations are becoming more and more common.

The suicide, homosexuality, drugs, and witchcraft discussed throughout the book really made me take a step back into my adolescent years. Even though these times are not to far back, I can still clearly see these types of situations happening in my school and with my friends; Maybe not to the extent in the book, but they were definitely there.

When I was reading the book, I found that the illustrations really helped in making the story and events more clear to understand. One illustrations that particularly sicks out is of Skim and Ms. A are kissing in the woods. There can be some interpretations as to whether this is a dream or reality, but without it the relationship between them would be even harder to figure out or try to understand. In the end I think it left everyone thinking of what was going to happen next, but like real life, somethings never end or figure themselves out.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about the content in the book being a type of situation that could have been found at my school. I liked the illustrations alot also to help me better understand the book.

    ReplyDelete